Sunday, January 10, 2010

What to do

I realize that I never introduced myself. I am a law student who loves to write and wants to share her thoughts. I hope you enjoy, whoever you are.

The beginning of the year for many feels like a new revelation, a new opportunity, and new page. Many of us vow to leave the old year behind, and many of us wait to do that until that final countdown. We wait until we are forced into turning a new page, to actually turn the page. Most years I am geared up to do just that, but for some reason this year, New Years eve seemed like just another day. I began wondering why we make such a big deal about this "new year" . And then at a "Praise Party" the speaker mentioned how glad we would all be to leave 2009 behind. I hadn't thought about it, but the new year is a time to refresh. To bathe ourselves, to wash off the much and the mire of the previous year. To leave behind battle wounds, and prepare to make new ones. I also realized that as I looked back over the year I didn't see the battles or the wounds, I saw the victories. I remember that there was pain, but I saw the victories first, and for me that is incredible.

This year is full of uncertainty for many of us. Many of us are jobless, or graduating with no job prospects (like me). Many of us have also been given the opportunity to think about what it is we really want to be doing with our lives. Were we really that happy sitting behind a desk all day? Is our dream really to cook, or to open up a restaurant, a jewelry store, a record label? Is it all of that. Are we brave enough to risk failure this year to do what would put a smile on our faces everyday? I just finished watching Julie and Julia - and she took a year of her life to work hard and do something she loved. And it paid off in a huge way. So this year I am not going to be afraid to fail, I am not going to be afraid to tell people what I really love to do. That doesn't mean I won't take the job behind the desk, but it does mean that I won't stop doing what I love. This year I am going to get up and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment